Sunday, June 21, 2015

Day 7, 8, ...9




Yeah, it's been a while.


I know what you are thinking... that so much is happening that I haven't had time to post.  Yes, I've been busy catching up on stuff I've neglected during this extended emergency mode.  Also, I needed time to process and simply haven't had it until today.

They did get him off that floor, with a device that looked like a Siamese twin folding chair, with two sides that fold the opposide direction that closed around him, and he was able to be carted out of the bathroom and into his bed. Then they went into commando cleaning mode, and set him up with more blood and saline and a few other things.  I just sat there and watched them work. I felt fine, but empty. I thought I was reasonably okay, but now I wonder if I wasn't' in shock. I got a good look at how much of the tumor had disappeared -- about a third of it, and that took a bit to process.

Then I taught the nurses of yet another floor how to dress his wounds.  I'm flattered they trust me with it, considering I was the one with the bleed. But oen of the other nurses suggested that the bleed was not something I had any control over, and that they'd had similar problems on the floor. My dressing was better than the paramedic who brought him to the hospital, and we are taling about a 10 year vetran who knew how to deal with trauma. And that's a nurse saying this.

That night, I got lost trying to get out of the hospital again.  Fun times.

After that, there was a lot of ICU action, but mostly all about Matt getting off his catheter.

He was there for two and a half days. he was mostly drugged out and I was a bit nuts. He had to be drugged because of the catheter. Probably also to stem the blood loss until they got that under control. They gave him more radiation but halted the chemo so he could get his strength up.  They gave him copious amounts of blood until the radiation slowly slowed and finally stopped the bleeding.

Then he went through a period where he discovered he was not as strong as he remembered.  He had a few smaller incidents, but nothing like the fall.

Now he's on IMCU upgraded from ICU but still under monitoring. As an added bonus he is capable of going to the bathroom by himself. But they had to give him beta blockers, colase and other fun things.

I've been running around taking care of personal things for the past few days, visiting him when I have time.

His back is slowly getting better. The patch is helping. I'm starting to get at the end of my rope. Sunday has just been one big day of rest for me, a chance to goof off on FB and catch up on reading, as well as get some dishes done.  I really should visit him today. Perhaps I will have more news.

Matt is mostly groggy, with a bit of cranky, because he's in pain, and doesn't hold well with being confined and without privacy.

he thinks they are moving him up to the fifth floor  (Back where he was when the fall happened) today or tomorrow.  That's an improvement.

And less painkillers today. Hooray!  And I get caught up in one post. There will probably be an amendment because I'm sure I've forgotten something.

And hey, I actually did something that wasn't connected with one or two degrees of separation with my hubby's health or the other disaster going on simultaneously.

Go team.

No comments:

Post a Comment