Sunday, June 28, 2015

Day 16.

Sunday, Sunday, Sunday.
I got up...
We did Matt's meds. Got him food. Got myself food, fed the cat. (Getting him food is quick and easy. Mine is more complicated, so I start mine then get his then eat.) Mass is going to be 12:30 at St TM.
I wish I knew even one person at the local parishes. All my church friends are in Chicago.

There's hardly anyone my age at StTM, or any of the parishes I get to around here. I'm too much of an outlier, of the sort you don't often see in the Burbs.  Well, at least... not the burbs around here.

I'm 40, married, Catholic and I don't have kids.  Who does that?

No one around here, apparently.

Anyone who veers from the script tends to be looked at with suspicion, or, best case, lumped as "charity case" and not "friendship material". Not to say it didn't happen in the City, but at least there you had enough variety to find those who weren't pod people.

Besides, there are no conservative parishes in the diocese of Gary. Sure, there are parishes saddled with conservative priests, but that's not the same thing.

If I hear "Gather us In" one more time, I think I might kill somebody. Why can't we treat God like God for a change? Do they even Aquinas?!  Can we have reconciliation that lasts more than freaking half hour once a week? Notice we are talking about parishes with thousands of families a piece.  Why am I consistently treated like I'm asking too much?!  The saints would weep, I swear.

Later that day...

Yep. I was dragooned into taking the last gasp mass in this area, from the parish rather infamous for it's weak music.  Yet, today, it didn't suck.  I'll never be quite happy with "Taste and See" but it's not that bad, and that was as close to my rant as they got.

The priest was on point and I felt both humbled and inspired.

Third, I found a parish not far away that has reconciliation four times a week, and an additional three times on Sunday.

I figured out when their English Sunday Mass will be, and plan on attending next week.


No comments:

Post a Comment