Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Day 4.


Monday.

He's still in ICU. I'm groggy. I get up early and take his laptop to him, so he can make his 9 am meeting.

Except... it doesn't work out that way. sure, I get out of bed at 7, but I am tired. Bone deep, painfully tired. My joints ache, and I'm feeling sensitive to light.  I sit down to wait for my breakfast and discover I've spent an hour chatting on FB. I feel guilty.  But I finally get my food, eat it, and get on my way, with everything... except Edd, the bear I got him on his first hospital visit.

Matt is drugged out, but still bleeding.  We chat a bit, but he's in and out of consciousness. Eventually he gets a bit clearer, and tells me to go get food, and get some sleep.

I suddenly realize he's right... and I'm the one not on Delauded.

I don't remember mostly what happened today, save I got sleep.

Then I went for Indian food, and did a lightening grocery run.  But I was delayed and the rain didn't make things easier.

So I visited him late. Around 8:46... Just after the entrances closed.

 I've been sleeping on average 4 hours a night-- 5 being a good night. I'd forgotten about the time until I appeared at the hospital.  So I went in at the ER entrance, hoping I could make good on my promise to see him that evening. He was feeling stressed and it seemed bad to just leave him.

The ER nurses were awesome, conspiring to get me into ICU after hours.
Yes, the bleeding is still going on.  He's been through 4 units of blood since he arrived at midnight on Sunday.
Yet he had some wonderful news-- a cardiac doctor came up with a procedure that would work kind of like an embolism on the blood circulation system inside the tumor. He could probably stop the tumor bleed that way. Said heart surgeon was worried about complications on later surgical options, but from what Matt was able to gather from our cancer surgeon, those are less of an issue than the heart doctor would know.  We are civilians in these matters, but Matt is good at reading people, especially experts in stuff he doesn't know about.  It's helpful in his system admin job.

The radiation doctor (RD for short) still thinks that the bleed will stop from Radiation alone. He got one shot today around 2.  He was flummoxed and out of it for the rest of the day. Though that was pain from another source.

Foot note: The Blackhawks won the  Stanley Cup toinght.  I watched it on TV while wandering around trying to leave the hospital.

When I get home, I hear gunfire.  My first thought is... oh, great, so the riots in Cleveland have made their way to Gary? Is Chicago burning and I've just been distracted?!

Nope. Folks are shooting in the air in celebration. And, setting off fireworks in the rain.   Because, hockey fans. No small thing such as the weather is going to defer some hard core celebrations.  Go team!

And seriously, congratulations Chicago hockey fans. I was just cranky and startled. Promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment