Thursday, September 10, 2015

Sept. 10th



So... Matt went in to see the surgeon today.

What I didn't mention is that Matt was having some real interesting issues with reality. We aren't sure if it's opiate withdrawal (the colostomy rod was VERY painful, plus he was having some spasms and pain thanks to the tumor... then the pain stopped, and so Matt stopped taking pain pills rather abruptly). or sleep deprivation (being as how this big painful thing is on the side he would normally sleep on.)  Suffice to say, I didn't get much sleep those nights.

Fortunately, he snapped out of it this morning, when I pointed out the issues with his ideas. He proceeded to be lucid all day today, and made it to the surgeon's and back without incident. It wasn't easy, but it wasn't fraught, either.

 I had to buy him a cane for the trip.



 Fortunately, they make those for tall people, too.

It's cool. It even has a flashlight.

And... our nemesis the rod has been removed. We threw it away today. I'm surprised we didn't have a little ceremony. It's been a very long two weeks. Thank God it's over.

Oh, and I have sleep meds. I should not have told Matt that it can potentially cause hallucinations.  Because sleep is good. And I'm not sure I can sleep normally at this point.

No comments:

Post a Comment